Sunday, March 11, 2007

Maybe I Need Some New Glasses


Today, someone knocked on the door while I was reading. Thinking it was our duplex neighbors, I jumped up, excited and ran over to the door. While I was unlocking the deadlock, I noticed that Mike looked a little funny......and then realized that wasn't Mike at all. It was some strange man....with a backpack....and old shoes.


Don't open the door! Don't open the door! Don't open the door, my little heart pounded. Wait a minute! Kevin! Yes! Of Course! He can answer the door! (after all, that's what big, manly husbands are for, right? to answer the door when there are strange men standing outside.)


"Kevin!" I yelled. "Hurry, honey!"


He jumped up from his nap and said, "Do I need my glasses?"


"Yessss," I hissed. "There's someone at the door."


I feared for his life as he walked out that door. What if that man pulls a gun out of his backpack and shoots him dead right there on the porch in the middle of the day? Will anyone see? You hear about these things on the news everyday.


I called our duplex neighbor at that point. "Mike! Do you see that guy talking with Kevin? I don't know who he is, but keep your eyes peeled!"


And then I proceeded to stand against the wall so that I could hear their conversation.

"...Pennsylvania....$64.25.......commission.....they don't like for us to, but I could give it to you for $24.95......"


Whew. This scary looking-man was only trying to sell Kevin something. He wasn't here to attack us. He wasn't here to ask for money.....in the conventional way anyway.


I moved to the couch. Maybe I should get them both some water.....Nah.


Kev eventually came back in and told me that the guy's name is Paul and that he travels the country selling heavy-duty (and expensive) industrial cleaner. Paul is from New York and is only 21. His parents got into some trouble and he decided to leave. This is what he does now.

Kev is so kind. He has such a heart for the marginalized, the poor, the homeless. He is my hero.


I was immediatly sorry for Paul and sorry that I had been so freaked out. What is it that I do again? I'm in seminary? Studying Missions??? Wow. You couldn't tell it from today. What if I were overseas and someone even "stranger" came to the door. What's Jenny-the-missionary going to do? Have an anxiety attack? Whack him in the head with the rolling-pin?


I decided this afternoon that I need to start trusting God more and stop being so afraid all of the time. We live in a big city, and there are awful things going on all of the time. But, if I believe that God is in control of my life, that He has purposes and plans for me, I need to be a little more bold. I need to love people, to reach out to them, to care for them, and not worry about their motives. I am a giant scardy-cat.


Well, you guys heard it first here today.....I'm going to start trusting God to take care of me and be a little bolder. I'm not going to do stupid things....but when I feel God bringing people into my path, I'm going to care for them in the best way that I can.

1 comment:

Katie Carringer said...

I LOVE YOU!!! I'm so glad you are writing :-) Hope you are great my darling...and I love that pic of you and Kevin by the tree. When are you guys going to come visit again? Haha...but seriously... :-)